Sunday, September 19, 2010

White's Fish & Chips - Grange Jetty - opposite the hotel

The seaside suburb of Grange had its share of little family owned shops. One of the dearest to my memories was actually a white van - White's fish and chips. I remember some blustery winter evenings, blasted by wind and ocean spray, but daring to go out just to get hot fish and chips from their van. It was probably about 14" caravan in a box shape. White in colour. I saw a watercolor of it in Cliff Hawkin's Real Estate office in the mid 1980s, but have never seen a photo of it. I can't remember how many years it was there. It parked in the parking lot opposite the Grange Hotel. Hot chips, bundled piping hot onto white butcher's paper, shaken with salt, then rolled and folded into a round bundle. You tucked it under your arm, to keep your body warm. Hands in pockets to keep it close to you. Then you dug into one end, ripping away the newspaper, to the steaming hot chips inside.
It was only one block to home on Seaview Road. But always hoped not all was eaten before I reached the house. Seems I can remember buying 2 shillings worth! Ah my! Such a treasure for so little!

Another memory - all the seagulls gathering around - they love chips!

No comments: