Saturday, February 22, 2014

The Movie "Cabaret" starring Liza Minnelli. 1972.

A friend of mine was talking of Liza's powerful performance in the movie Cabaret.
This movie is very memorable movie in my life.

September/October 1972 it was released in Australia (at that time we usually had to wait 6 months for movies to filter through from the USA. 

I was wanting to see it so badly, but was heading for London, so I was really upset to miss it. Got on board the 747 and what was slated to play ... Cabaret. 

Joel Grey was extraordinary too. (Money makes the world go round). I thoroughly enjoyed it. Although did keep raising the window 'curtain' to look at the Aussie outback, which was totally amazing too! (I have a photo or two to prove it! :) )

I feel even a bit more 'connected' to this movie, and Liza, as I got to London, and Liza was having a rather torrid affair with Peter Sellers and it was front page news, they were making out in the parks and so forth. *lol* Then of course, later going and living in Germany for 3 years, and learning of the culture there and seeing remnants of the war post 'just' some 27 years later (seemed a long time at that time, but so soon after, I feel, now), but there was a lot - visited prison camps, and explored burnt out tank shells when camping out in German war fields.

Anyway, Liza sure packed a punch with "Mein Herr" for sure. Won me over.

No comments: