Saturday, August 23, 2014

Photos of Adelaide in the 1950s.


I ran across this website story while trying to find out what the event at the town hall might have been.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/photos-of-everyday-life-in-adelaide-in-the-1950s/story-fni6uo1m-1226983270157?nk=816965287d4502f2fdc1f44f44842c03
Wonderful old photos, and filled with memories. Sorry if not all can see them. Seems that you have a limited number of 'free' articles that you can read. :(
It's one of the first references I've seen to the Koala zoo. It was in the parklands, a bit north of the zoo. It's there that I rode an elephant, I'm sure.
I remember the city baths (swimming pool) but know that many avoided it because of catching something 'nasty'. How true that was, I don't know.
I love the Royal show photos, was such an event. I loved everything about it. Show bags, Fairy Floss, sample size bottles, animals and more.
Sunday drives with picnics, thermos of tea was a 'must have'. That first photo was like so many. So typical.
Charlesworth nuts was a 'must' to visit each time one went to the city.
And it's amazing to see how close some got to the Queen, when she visited.

No comments: