Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Alick Lill - Magarey Medalist


PHOTO: © Jillian Crider
This is a photo I have just scanned of 'uncle' Alick. He was a Magarey Medalist when he played for Norwood Football Club. Some of his information can be found on Wikipedia - HERE.
This is just a small photo, probably taken with a 'Brownie' box camera. I think this is Darwin? during WWII. He signed the back of it. I think it was sent to Uncle Wally & Auntie Dulcie - see below.
He was the father of John Lill, also known in the sports world. I always had fond memories of him. He was a bank manager for the South Australian Bank, and was well respected in that position, from what I understand.
He was great 'mates' with my Uncle Wally (Walter Williamson). Also on Wikipedia - HERE. Who was also notable in the football world. He was captain of West Torrens when they won their premiership. The football was donated to the Football club - accepted by Bruce Lindsay (sp?) in the early 1980s. It had a silver shield with all the players names on it.
I can remember as a child, loving going to my Aunt's (Dulcie, wife of Uncle Wally) home in Jetty St., Grange, and the footballers would be there. A marquee was put up in the yard. Great fun was had by all!

3 comments:

John L said...

Would you mind if I passed this snippet on to my friends at the SA football historians?

Cheers,
John Low

Just Me said...

Please do. I love for their stories to be told. I loved my Uncles, and have many fond memories. They had long finished playing, but the parties, and memories remained. For Uncle Wally, his house was full of trophies from his playing days. Even furniture! He was 'most valuable player' several years.
I donated his state blazer to the footy office at West Lakes, in the 1990s when I helped my Aunt with her transition from home to nursing home. I'll post more photos of them soon, and also need to update the information on Wiki, soon as my registration is approved. I have a photo of the football I'll post when I can.

Just Me said...

Uncle Wally served the army in Darwin, for sure. I can remember being told that he 'had it easy' during the war. It was when the story of the invasion of Darwin by the Japanese was not passed on to the people of Australia. I have photos from there. I did even have some photos of Japanese officers, from there, but not sure if I've lost them.
I was amazed when I found out that it was far from 'easy' there.
But my Dad had it pretty tough. Was blown up driving an ammunition truck in the desert. And came back with TB. He survived about 20 years, but they were tough years. Really tough. I was told many times, that it might be the last time I saw my Dad. He would go to the Daws Road Repat. Hospital, or to Berili (sp?) in Belair. I was often not allowed inside (had to be 12 or older) and tried peering in through windows to see my Dad. I saw many soldiers, for many years, who I watched bear the results from the war.