Sunday, April 5, 2015

"Style" At Grange Bowling Club - 1920s - South Australia.


Sharing a personal photo from the early 1920s at the Grange Bowling Club. (Please do not copy or use without seeking permission.)

From the personal photo album of Dulcie Elizabeth Williamson (nee Lill), my aunt.

The woman in the middle is my grandmother, who's home I grew up in, on Seaview Road. Mrs F. W. R. Lill - she and her daughters often helped with fund raising booths and are mentioned a lot in old newspapers. She is Florence Dulcie Lill. My grandfather was a lifetime member of the club.

My mother (adoptive) is the child to the right, in the background. She is probably around 10 years old so that would make this photo approx. 1922? - Joyce Constance Lill - later Basford and Capon, born October 1912.

I have scanned this in hi-res, and is delightful to see the 'youthful', freckled face of my grandmother (Nan), rather than the interesting face with 'cracks' in it. :)

You can click on the image for a slightly larger view.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoy your updates Jillian ... I'm on my final gallop with my thesis. I have had to edit is considerably however the excess material I will consider using for a book. One hurdle at a time though.
Cheers
David

Just Me said...

Hi David.
Yes, I'm doing things one hurdle at a time, myself at the moment, too.
I did some research and found out that Grandpa was not only a life member of the Grange Bowling club but also President at least one year, and Vice-president another. I have another 2 photos to post of the actual opening ceremony, but am having trouble with my files on my USB being recognized by my iMac, at the moment.
All my best to you.
Cheers!
~Jillian

Anonymous said...

Hi Gillian,

I have sent the link to your blog to my nephew who is an A-grade player for the Grange Bowling Club. He loved the picture and is checking some of the archives to see what else is about for that period.

Regards
David

Just Me said...

Hi David,
That sound great. Yes, love this photo. I just posted the one I was going to the other day. I have one more, similar. Nan & Grandpa are in it, I found.
I spent some hours and hours doing research on trove and edited so much was at least readable. Some was SO funny 'Grange Blowing Club' HA! I haven't read the history of the club, and not sure if they actually have some of the information and photos I found. So, let me know. I did find many names of the 'founders' when it was first named as Grange and Henley Beach Club. Was interesting about getting the property, too. The change in direction of the rinks due to the sun being a problem, and the experimental installation of lights, the failure, and then getting electric lights. :) Neat stuff. I still think I do remember this building before it was torn down. Not sure if it's just because I saw photos of it, or true memories. I'd love to know if my memories are true. What a wonder if they are! :)
Regards,
~Jillian