Saturday, April 18, 2015

Grange Bowling Club - Speech by Mr Hughes (approx. 1923?)

This is from my Auntie Dulcie's album. I believe it to be around 1923, based on previous photo posted. Because of my mother's (Joyce) age. I also believe that my Grandpa (F.W. Lill / F.W.R. Lill) was president 1924 and vice-president 1925 due to some research in the 'trove' newspapers. I took some time to edit these old articles, and hopefully made it easier for those researching the GBC. It does have a list of most of the founders, and also some great photos. But it takes some looking.

Auntie Dulcie was Dulcie Lill, married to Wally (Walter) Williamson - captain of West Torrens when they won premiers in the early 30s (1933?). He also played for the State and for a short time was with Hawthorn (Vic) FC. See Wikipedia.

At first I thought the speech might be from the Prime Minister, but a Mr Hughes played a BIG part in the beginnings of the "Grange and Henley Beach Bowling Club" (later "Grange Bowling Club"), so he is probably the one who is making the speech, even though I don't specifically know who that might be from this photo. I believe I came across photos of Mr Hughes when researching. I have one more photo of this occasion. And will post it after scanning.

I circled 2 people - Nan and Grandpa. I was able to tell by the clothes on Nan (previous blog photo), but also thought it looked like Grandpa, anyway. So they were obviously part of the 'official' party.

I don't know when this building was demolished. But from my child brain, I seem to remember it. The kitchen upstairs, the dark wood floor that creaked so much, men smoking - pipes, cigars, and drinking. Women with urns, cakes, and constantly washing dishes in aprons. If anyone one knows the year it was demolished, I'd love that information, to see if my memories fit.

No comments: