Tuesday, January 7, 2014

1950s - Dog Shows

One of the most amazing times of my young life began when Mum & Dad went out rather secretively and came back with a German Shepherd puppy. Evidently my Mum had wanted one. We named her 'Trixie' (Rowlandscourt Nerissa?) and was bought from a breeder in Brighton. She was a few months old, or thereabouts. I was instantly in love. 

For a long time German Shepherds were in my life, and in my young pre-teen and teen life bought about a 'life' outside the home. We would go to dog shows all over. Just about every community had dog shows and most would be held in conjunction with community fairs (agricultural societies). I loved looking at the crafts, arts, cooking, preserving, and visiting all the animals. We would have great picnic lunches, and I learnt all the fine details of showing dogs, and, as a 'child handler' won many certificates and ribbons. For a while I started training as a judge, and almost immediately became a 'mid-wife' when litters were born. Trixie would let me near, but noone else. She would commence the birth process in my bedroom, so my room became a baby birth station. I had always said I wanted to be a veterinary surgeon, so this fitted in beautifully. Even though my parents told me that I couldn't (I was a girl). My other choice was to be an artist - a commercial artist - even though I didn't truly know what that was. Just knew that it was what I needed to be. I always told people I was an artist. I didn't even know artists, so I was a bit 'weird' to most with this desire. It stood me in good stead in later years, getting a job at a Veterinary Clinic in Atlanta - where I discovered I LOVED the veterinary life, and think I would have made a great surgeon!

Anyway, this is one of the many certificates I got - this was a 2nd prize, on 10-10-59 - Kapunda and Light Agricultural Society Inc. Championship Show. The childish hand for breed, class, name, and exhibitor is probably my handwriting. I can remember that some certificates weren't fully made out. But I didn't falsify it. It was won as stated.

No comments: