Monday, January 6, 2014

People of the 1960s - Henley Beach Sailing Club (West Beach) + Sturt Movie Theatre

This is an old clipping in the society pages of the Australian Women's Weekly. Not sure of the year. 1960s?
Mr Gordon Wright was the father of a guy I dated in the 60s. Mr Wright was the manager of the Sturt movie theatre in Rundle Street (now Rundle Mall), in Adelaide. The lotteries commission was built on this site. I remember seeing 'The Graduate' there. It was quite a startling movie at the time - very 60s! Also I think I saw 'Mondo Carne' there? and definitely 'Oliver Twist'.

Mr Wright lived at West Beach, not far from the Sailing Club, and was an active sailor. For many years I would go past his house, as many did, and see the yacht he was building - quite a talking point as it was made of concrete.

UPDATE: I'm now fairly certain that I saw 'Mondo Carne', which was considered quite shocking at the time, at the Capri Cinema. I don't know if it still exists as I haven't lived in Adelaide since mid-2003. I believe it to be off either Goodwood or Unley Road. A beautiful theatre. Roundness comes to mind and stucco. Think the facade had these. Gold stucco and reddish accents?

No comments: