Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Henley High School - 1960s - Death of Headmaster

I remember that the headmaster of Grange Primary School was Mr Wade, and us students loved him. 1950s. I have a feeling that he died while I was attending there. But it was with total shock that Mr Senior died when I was at Henley High School. I'm not sure of the year - 1964, or 3?

It was such a new school, and held up as a shining example of the times, and we all were so very full of enthusiasm. So full of hope for the future, full of vitality, and activity. This is the news clipping from the newspaper at the time.

One of the 'administration' steps taken at one stage, was to separate boys and girls at recess and lunch breaks. Whether it was put in to effect by the headmaster (not sure which one), or teachers, or prefects, I don't know. I heard stories about why this 'rule' was put in to effect, but won't repeat it here. 

What was the most amazing thing was what happened. There was a drain between the 'old' and the 'new' school where we were told not to cross, boys in 'new' side as was closest to the oval, and girls in the old.


I can remember being one of the first - I don't know how it all started, but once started the whole school joined in. We sat on the ground. Boys on one side of the drain, girls on the other. I can't remember singing, or clapping or anything, but know that the new 'rule' was quickly retracted, and we were all told to get up and go about our usual activities. I'm not quite sure how many students took part. But can remember telling people that there were 900 students. But heck - memories are so fleeting and funny at times. Not all is as remembered.

2 comments:

John L said...

Unley High had a similar protest at around that time about the very same thing that made the front page of The News.

Just Me said...

Oh thank you SO very much for that info. Now you mention it I seem to remember that there was talk of it around town at various schools.

How strange this all sounds today. :)