Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Flower Day. North Terrace. Adelaide, South Australia 1965

This is either 1964 or 1965. I was 'grown up' and at my first job working in the city. To have a job virtually meant working in the city. Adelaide Flower Day was once a year. North Terrace was full of displays. I love roses, which is why I photo'd this.
I remember the metal 'hoops' that lined the lawns on North Terrace. Love the old cars, and the men in suits, ties and HATS!!!!! Yup - ALL men wore hats! They would often 'tip' them for ladies that went by to acknowledge them. This pond was a wishing well - lots of old 'pennies' (yup. They had pennies, shillings, pounds still!) thrown in for wishes.
You can see the war memorial with the angel statue across the road from here. I have a few more to come. I thought I was SO grown up to be working there, and seeing the world - all 10 miles from home. *lol*

2 comments:

John L said...

Outside the newspaper reading room.

Artist Jillian Crider said...

Yes, I had forgotten that.