Sunday, May 13, 2012

Visit to Grange February 1975

I got married in Switzerland (Basel) in 1974 (February). A year later came 'home' to Grange for a holiday. Strangely it has been one of the very few 'holidays' in my life. We lived in Germany - Mainz at the time. I worked for the USAF at  Wiesbaden Air Base (601st Combat Support Group), and Randy (Thomas Randall Crider) was a Staff Sgt, from Atlanta, Georgia.
We saved all my wages that first year so we could come 'home'. We were there about 6 weeks. It cost a fortune. Also because of changing seasons northern/southern is at different times of the year, we left in winter, went into summer, left in spring, and arrived back in Germany in fall - four seasons in 6 weeks.
This is one of my favorite photos. Lovely, relaxing times. Taken in the back yard of 534 Seaview Rd., Grange, South Australia.
Most of my life Auntie Grace & Uncle Snow (Ristivozevic) lived next door. They moved once to Reedie St? but bought the house back - I don't blame them! My Mum is standing (Joyce Constance Capon - nee Lill). The white post is from the back verandah - I think it only went 1/2 way across before lean to to go inside. Love the pull out washing line on the rainwater tank of 532 back yard. I've been trying to think who lived there. Was an older man & lady. Brother and sister I was told. Peterson? One day my RAM memory might kick in, and I'll remember their names. Retired. The fences were this height practically all along.
Many hours were spent talking over the top to neighbours, and spreading any news. I remember looking over the fence from our side (536) and Auntie Grace telling us of President Kennedy being assassinated. I couldn't believe it. We thought he and Jackie were so magical.
The news also came over the fences to stay home and lock up when there was the news of a man gone amock with a gun, shooting people.
The fences meant a lot of things. I watched chickens being killed for dinner (most people had chickens, we didn't), and learnt how they flapped around even with no head. I learnt to pluck chickens from Auntie Grace. Fresh eggs would be passed over fences, lemons, nectarines (a favorite - I still adore over-ripe nectarines, and can't find any), tomatoes, peaches. We would share oranges, currants and raisins sent down from the Lill family members in Renmark - Every winter a big wooden box would appear for us. Usually by tourist bus.
Even thought it was 1981 that I came back for 10 months, then came back in 1983, nothing ever seemed the same again. Too much had changed.
I loved the simple mu-mu type dresses at the time. Just two straight pieces of fabric. Bright patterns. We thought this was the modern new world, such freedom! *lol*
Forgot to mention that Uncle Snow was a train driver. Worked for the railway.


No comments: