Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Polaroid: 1983 - Grange Hotel, South Australia

I was thinking this was around late 1980s. But I think that is my Datsun Bluebird parked at the side of the pub. I had that car in 1981? possibly or 1983-4. Polaroid photo, and I didn't think I had one then, but could have. I used it for photo'ing houses I was drawing for Real Estate agents. I did over 9,000 houses. The Polaroids shortened my work a bit, but got very quick at my work, and could 'sketch' a house in minutes - enough to remember it for my line drawing later.

My Dad owned "Henley & Grange Cab Co." his call box was on a post about where my car is. Cost no money to use. We only lived a block away on Seaview Road, so took no time to pick up someone who was 'under the weather'. When I was little, we would go for 'Sunday Drives' in the FJ (or FX) Holden, and later FE Holden. We would park about where my car is. Dad would go in and get beers for him and Grandpa, and 'shandies' for Mum and Nan (beer + clear lemonade). My joy was to get a lemonade with strawberry in it ... with ice and a straw. So chic! Sometimes Dad would put 6 pence in a machine that would dispense a handful of salted peanuts - he would bring them out to me in the car. Kids weren't allowed in most areas of the pub. Nor were 'ladies'. There was a 'lounge' where men and women could sit together, but you would never see a woman in the 'bar'. I still feel guilty going into bars, to this day.
Pubs closed at 5pm, and closed on Sundays.

We sometimes came here for Christmas Dinner when it got 'too much' for the older women of our family. It was still a lot of fun. Though think we only went here a few times.

Tuning slightly to my right, straight across the road is the car park lot for the Hotel. As a child this was were caravan type van would stand - White's fish & chips. SO good. Tons of Seagulls milling around. Sometimes braving the winds was quite an effort, but they were delicious, and worth it! At that time there wasn't a fish & chip shop on every corner like in later times.

Grange Beach. Jetty St & Esplanade. Grange, South Australia.

No comments: