Saturday, May 12, 2012

Henley to Grange Parade 1986 Australia Day - Amscol Old IceCream Truck

Part of the Australia Day Parade on Seaview Road, Grange, 1986. Old Amscol IceCream Truck. In the background you can see the old bus stop. I used it a lot, getting home from High School and work. The structure behind is on the corner of Beach Street. I always knew it as 'old Mrs Englehart's'. And that part on the corner was known as 'the stables'. I never saw or knew of actual horses being there, but it was definitely known locally by the older people. The talked of the clatter of hooves as they came down the curved driveway with tall walls that echoed the sound. I loved that house. I remember only being inside once. On the north side. I loved the glassed in porch-type area. Great vistas of the ocean/beach.
Dad used to drive Mrs Englehart to chuch when he was a taxi driver, but he also did it once he stopped the taxi service.
I loved Amscol icecream. You virtually ate nothing but Amscol. It was unpatriotic not to! *lol* Household word. I never did warm to 'Peter's' icecream which infiltrated the ranks. HA!
I am not sure, but think at one stage 'dandies' were given out to people viewing the parade. (Small wax cups of icecream with lift off top and a small wooden paddle-spoon.)

Looks like sparce crowds here. It was VERY crowded when I was young.

~Jillian

4 comments:

Micheal Alexander said...

Interesting Article. Hoping that you will continue posting an article having a useful information. Henley Local Taxi service or Local taxi service

imrankhanmani said...

Nice Post, Thanks For sharing. When you want the best taxi services for traveling at an affordable price, we are the right choice for you.
Henley Taxi

Infine Marketing said...

Awesome Article thanks for share your valuable information Make your car rental business exceptional with Rentrabbit.io Car Rental Software

Jillian Crider said...

Thank you.

~Jillian Crider