Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Grangelea Kennels - German Shepherds

For quite some years, from the late 1950s, or maybe very early 60s we had 'Grangelea Kennels' at 536 (was 620) Seaview Road, Grange. We trained and showed and bred German Shepherds. I think I was around 10 or so when as a surprise Mum & Dad went out one night (very unusual) and came home with a pup. (Trixie) Rowlandscourt Narissa?
I loved them. Often pups were born in my bedroom. We attended shows, and won many awards. I got many 'child handler' awards.
This is a photo taken 26th November 1966. Carlton Empress (Emmie) is the sable dog at the rear, and in front is Grangelea Treena. This is looking back towards the house from the back yard, or guess I should say, more towards the northern fence. It shows 'number 10' built across into the next yard (Pearson/Tucker) home. It shows the old palm tree, which made a lot of noise when we got storms off the sea. Galahs built in it and ruined it, I believe.  So funny to see it in its full glory here.
On the north fence is the softshell almond tree. Fun to unearth these little puzzle pieces, so long gone.

~Jillian

No comments: