Friday, April 13, 2012

Beach Shacks, Grange Beach 1940s


This is from a family photo - the background shows the shacks on the beach. These were on the south side of Beach street.

The shacks were usually wood. About the side of a small 'garage' - inside was the basics. I spoke earlier in a post about people sleeping on the beach during a heat wave. - These shacks were also used. They usually had a small fridge, sink, cook top, some cupboards, bunk beds, and that's about all. No windows or else had wood to go over them once summer was over. Many became quite broken down. A super place for us kids to play in.

I always wanted one. But we only lived in the next street over, so it wasn't really worth it. I somehow found it exotic (as a child) HA!

I remember this umbrella - or think I do. Think the main color was a green - a light mint type green. The stripes included red, yellow, and I think blue. I vaguely remember a very faded umbrella like this in our back yard, so that is why I think this was in late 30s or early or mid 40s. It was disused.

Once the summer crowd left we loved doing 'treasure hunts' - we found pennies, and jewellery and many interesting objects. I think some of the people from Broken Hill came to these, too.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

These shacks were just the best our family had a Beach Shack at West Beach it too was made of wood, two story with double bunks. As a child I have heaps of fun. I remember in the Winter the sands would come up and enclosed the bottom floor, and we would have to dig the sand out to get in the shack.

Just Me said...

I remember all the laughter that came from families at the beach. Yes I remember the sand - it was everywhere. In winter we could usually crawl into the shacks but didn't do it much. I don't recall the ones at West Beach. All were made of wood. Corrugated iron roof though.
Thanks for your memories. :) Was a fun time. Sadly to see it gone. It was a way of life.