Saturday, April 14, 2012

Seaview Road, Grange 1975 South Australia


This is a photo of my home, and street - 536 Seaview Road, Grange - between Beach St and Grange Road (formerly Kirkaldy Road), in 1975. The bus stop is now gone. I remember running along barefoot in summer, stopping one foot on the shadow cast by the Norfolk pines. I can also remember the 3-corner jacks - just like stepping on thumb tacks (push pins)!

The bus stop had a time clock as it was the first stop on the route. See other posts on this blog re the noise the buses made.

I probably shouldn't admit it here. But there were occasions when we wanted to get rid of things. Too good to throw away. We didn't know what to do with them. Put them on the bus seat - they were soon gone! Didn't do it much but I definitely remember one or two. One was an ancient painting of a water bird (stork?) on a wood panel - came off a fireplace. Nearly every room in our house (built 1928) had a fireplace. At one time my room was talked of as 'the maid's room'. Whether there ever was a maid, I have no details, but if they called it that, I would say there was one. I also remember from an early age, the house being decorated in very very dark and heavy 'Victorian' furnishings. This was probably changed out somewhat in the early-mid 1950s.

No comments: