Saturday, April 14, 2012

Grandpa's Business Card - Maylands, Kirkcaldy - South Australia


Well, I came across my grandpa's business card. Here it is. It's bigger than a regular business card. - Approx 2.5x3.5" I think.

I can remember asking Grandpa (Fred) - F.W.R.Lill (Frederick William Russon Lill) about the Kirkcaldy address as Swan St never went over Grange Road (formerly Kirkcaldy Rd) to the south, as far as I know. And that was the area that was known as Kirkcaldy. But I can't remember what the answer was, and I don't ever remember him pointing out where his business was situated.

This would have been from around 1920s perhaps. I was told that he retired when 35. He was born in 1870s. He owned much land in Grange. Prior to living at 620 (now 536 Seaview Rd) he lived in 31 (now 29) Jetty St. And several other houses around Grange.

I am nearly 100% sure he built the houses 620, 624 Seaview Rd, and the one in Jetty St., so think it quite likely that he built more. I can vaguely remember being told that he built railway stations. Maybe that is where my love of them come from? And love of all buildings. I believe he also built from Murray Bridge, Port Lincoln, Norwood/Maylands.

I have no idea who the 'and son' was. And I thought grandpa had brothers. I'll check the Lill history for when I find them.

One of Grandpa's daughters married into the 'Johns' family of Henley Beach - butcher, newsagent, and more - there names are listed in the history of that time. Her name was Gladys Eleanor Johns, they lived on Military Road, Henley Beach. More later, for history buffs of the area.

Update 22nd April 2012: I have the history of the Lill family. Grandpa did have brothers, but they didn't build. Uncle Percy - who lived in Renmark, and Uncle Angus (Cuthbert) who lived 2 houses away from us in Grange. Grandpa also lived in W.A. and left Grange in the late 20s to go to Pt. Lincoln. I think he may have built some public buildings there, too. I have some of the Lill history from the web. I'll post that in a new post. In searching I found that Grandpa did indeed built at least one railway station - Tailem Bend. They are actually celebrating 100th birthday next year 2013 - and they told me that Grandpa also built the Strathalbyn Post Office - which will also be 100 years old next year.

No comments: