Sunday, April 15, 2012

1970 - Miss Australia Quest Entrant


This newspaper clipping was from the local newspaper.
In 1970 I was an entrant in the Miss Australia Quest. I did so much at the time. I was asked to do it and I turned it down. I knew I'd never win. But did know I was good at selling raffle tickets, so said I'd help by doing that. The recruiter had the perfect answer - "Don't you think you can sell more by being an entrant?" The only answer was yes. "We need your help." Help I was good at too.
At the time I worked for Rigby's Booksellers in accounting, I'd been there a couple of years, going from comptometrist, to accounts receivable, and part of the move from James Place, to Rundle Road, Kent Town, to the old Rosella factory.
I also think I was doing theatre advertising ads for Val Morgan's by then, too. Other artists working there at the time were Marjorie Hann, Vanessa Smith, and Jenny Gore. All notable artists who became friends. It was Marjorie who recommended me for the job. It was just freelance work I did from home. I used Dad's sleepout as a studio.
My dogs were German Shepherds. Our kennel name was "Grangelea Kennels". I did sew a lot - I know I sewed the dress I have on in the picture, it was red and white, tropical flowers. I'm not so sure about the cooking though, as I never to rarely cooked at home. I did like collecting recipes though. I was also playing 'men's basketball' and on the West Torren's basketball committee, for a while I was treasurer. I also played Squash. Another thing I did was usherette and help with shows at the Apollo Stadium & in the parklands - more on that later, as I met some amazing performers and had some amazing adventures. With no idea of the world-wide adventures that were to come in future.

An after-thought: It says Miss Woodville Hotel. Yes, that is what I ended up as. But they got me to fill in at a few hotels first - I think Grange was one, also Elephant & Castle on West Terrace. All weekends for a year were taken up.

I did it again in 1972. I didn't tell my family, and very few of my friends knew. I don't think I made it public at work - I worked at Rothman's and Coca-cola during that time, and was still doing art for Val Morgans. I did it to fund-raise, both times, and didn't like some of the reaction to me doing this. As sponsors I was with Ramsgate Hotel, Glenelg Pier Hotel and Largs too, and think I've forgotten who else. I won fund-raising awards both times. The 2nd time I gave it all away to another girl in the quest, I believe she won a trip to the Victorian snow fields because I did that.

No comments: