Saturday, April 14, 2012

Queen Elizabeth visits Adelaide 1954.


I was 5. I had just started school at Grange Primary around that time. The Queen was coming to Adelaide, there was a lot of excitement. All our classrooms had photos or paintings somewhere of the queen. My favorite always was the one of her in yellow with wattle (Australian flower/bush).

In preparation we had to have white dresses. I think boys had to wear grey, long shorts. We had to pack a sandwich in a brown paper bag rolled at the top for easy carrying. And we all had cordial bottles. It was a very hot day. We were all very excited. We were taught to curtsey, and I practiced and practiced. I certainly hoped to be lucky enough to be chosen to present some flowers to the queen, but knew that the girls had already been picked.

I seem to remember it as being at Rose Park Racecourse in the parklands, but the only photo I could find was on the web and says Adelaide Cricket Grounds - about 1/2 a mile away. It could have been both places, I don't know. I just remember THOUSANDS of kids. I had never seen as many.

We were marched orderly down Jetty Street to Grange Railway Station (part of Henley Beach line - north west corner of Jetty Street and Military Road) and got onto the old steam train and went into Adelaide. I seem to remember buses taking us the rest of the way. How none of us got lost I'll never know. Many fainted, from the heat and/or exhaustion/excitement. I can't remember if we were given white handkerchiefs to wave or a small flag (English? Australian?). When the queen drove by it was all so quick. I can't remember in my mind's eye, other than seeing a vehicle. I was too busy doing my curtsey - I think I was the only one to do it - all the others were too excited and jumping up and down and shrilly cheering, like children excitedly do.

My memories are pretty dim, of course. But I always told the story of how someone sought me out later - not from the school, and told me I had a message from the queen - "for the little girl that curtseyed so beautifully".

We were tired and cranky going home. It was hot, and the train windows were opened by the kids so the sooty black smoke came in. The train had a lot of people also going home from work so space was limited. As a child I was told to give my seat up for anyone older than myself. So I did. I still have memories of sitting down on the floor of that dirty train because I was tired. Getting home was not fun. I got into trouble for getting my dress so dirty. So dirty, in fact, that I never wore it again!

Still, it was all a very memorable experience.

I have the greatest of respect for the queen. She has NO choice. She HAS to attend a great many events like this even if she doesn't feel like it, and keeps her cool. I was also lucky enough to see her in London in 1973. An amazing lady, for sure.

If there is any objection to me using the photo from the web of 'Adelaide Cricket Ground', please let me know. Thank you.

1 comment:

macmsue said...

I've just stumbled on your post and remember the Queen's visit, I was one of those who fainted! Came to in the St John's tent and desperately hoped I'd be able to stay there!