Friday, April 13, 2012

Storm at Grange II - December 1986


The building above is almost a landmark. I have seen it lately on Google earth, so I know it's still there. South East corner of Jetty St, Seaview Road intersection.

There used to be an old house on this property - it was quite a large 'block' of land. I can remember it as being set in the middle of the land and having verandahs all the way around or almost. I think Peter Cooper lived there.

I sat next to him at Grange Primary School. He would annoy me by singing the very popular "Purple-people eater" song constantly. Funny now, as I have fond memories of this, and love it when I unexpectedly hear this song.

These units were probably built in the late 50s, or very early 60s. They were 'holiday' units at the time, as we still used to get an influx of Christmas/Summer families from the country, the riverland, and from Broken Hill. No one would consider living in these as it was too noisy - after all it was THEIR holiday. The train station was only 50 across the road, and shops and pubs so close. This is interesting as I think this was when they first offered the 'flats' as units for individuals to own their own "Grangeview". Wasn't too good to have the roof off.

December 1968.

No comments: