Saturday, April 28, 2012

Dinnertime - Picnic at Belair 1920s.

"Dinnertime" Belair National Park - a picnic. Though I don't know how comfortable it was as men are wearing white shirts and ties. Most of the people I don't know they could be relatives from the families of Lill or Nation or Daley. They might also possibly be workers associated with my grandfather's building business.

My grandfather is on the right with a pipe. I've marked him with a red heart. I remember him having pocket watches on chains. One was given to my son, but I don't know if he still has it. Grandpa always smoked a pipe, and I learnt all about them, how to clean it and everything. I was very close to him. He taught me a lot of interesting things, but most I remember him as being very quiet. He spoke the least of anyone in the family. Though he was the one that would cut the string on the presents tied to the Christmas tree and read out the names. He also was the carver at meals if we had a meat that had to be carved. He would make a great display of sharpening the knife before cutting. Quite a ceremony.

My grandmother is to the right, a little behind him. All these people I knew and know their features. I could be wrong, but doubt it. She was Florence Dulcie Lill (nee Daley). The girl on the far right is Auntie Glad - Gladys Eleanor Johns (nee Lill). She looks like she is at least 15 or so, so that would date this in the early 20s, I believe. I'm taking a guess that the Model T Ford behind is grandpa's. I know he had one, or many. They loved their 'Sunday drives'. So did I - but mine were in later model cars.

Oh, and grandpa - F.W.R. Lill - Fredrick William Russon Lill (Fred), son of W.R. Lill. If you're following along, you'll find other posts on the heritage. He was a builder and built some public buildings in South Australia - and possibly Western Australia, too.

No comments: