Saturday, April 14, 2012

Henley High School, Prefect Induction 1964 South Australia


This was on the front page of the Advertiser for the Henley Beach High School prefect induction in 1964.

We had an assembly, and in the courtyard there were a heap of boys called in to clear out the chairs. Someone from the Advertiser wanted to take a photo of the prefects, but wanted other students, so they called all the boys in to the photos. Then they realised that they only showed guys, not girls.

My friend, Robin King, and myself were in the main building, despite not supposed to be there. We, or I, wasn't too good at doing what we were supposed to! ;) Anyway ... they called us out, and shoved us right up front in the middle. So that's me (Jill Capon, then). Other than the prefects I know the 3 guys - Leighton Harmon, Robert Lawrie, and Peter Cherry.

I was astounded when I went to a community celebration in the 90s in the town hall, and there was a display on the history of Henley High - and there was this photo! This photo was also used for the HHS 50th anniversary book - though they cut off at my head, but Robin shows up. So, all these years later we are presented as the face of Henley High. :)

Henley High opened in 1958. I knew many of the new students. I think we started there in 1960? The school was still being worked on. One afternoon a week we had 'home ec' - be had to be bused to Glenelg while the home science/woodwork buildings were being built. I am not sure if we had to do that for one, or two years. I loved the new building when we finally had it. I guess at some stage I need to tell some high school stories. :)

No comments: